PREFACE How This Book Was Writtenand Why
序言 克服忧虑,快乐生活 1
Part One Fundamental Facts You
Should Know about Worry
第一篇 了解忧虑的基本事实
1 Live in Day-tight Compartments 第1章 活在完全独立的今天 8
2 A Magic Formula for Solving Worry Situations 第2章 消除忧虑的魔法
公式 19
3 What Worry May Do to You 第3章 忧虑会使人短命 27
Part Two Basic Techniques in Analysing Worry
第二篇 分析忧虑的基本技巧
4 How to Analyse and Solve Worry Problems 第4章 解开忧虑之谜 40
5 How to Eliminate Fifty Per Cent of Your Business Worries 第5章 如何减少
生意上50%的忧虑 48
Part Three How to Break the Worry Habit
Before It Breaks You
第三篇 如何改变忧虑的习惯
6 How to Crowd Worry out of Your Mind 第6章 消除思想上的忧虑 54
7 Don''t Let the Beetles Get You Down 第7章 不要为小事而垂头丧气 64
8 A Law That Will Outlaw Many of Your Worries 第8章 平均概率可以战胜
忧虑 72
9 Co-operate with the Inevitable 第9章 接受不可避免的事实 79
10 Put a Stop-Loss Order on Your Worries 第10章 让忧虑到此
为止 89
11 Don''t Try to Saw Sawdust 第11章 不要锯木屑 97
Part Four Seven Ways to Cultivate A Mental Attitude
That Will Bring You Peace and Happiness
第四篇 培养平安快乐的心态
12 Eight Words That Can Transform Your Life 第12章 态度可以改变你的
生活 104
13 The High Cost of Getting Even 第13章 报复的代价太高了 118
14 If You Do This,You Will Never Worry About Ingratitude 第14章 对人
施恩勿望回报 127
15 Would You Take a Million Dollars for What You Have? 第15章 多想想
你得到的恩惠 134
16 Find Yourself and Be Yourself: Remember There Is No One Else on Earth
Like You 第16章 保持自我本色 142
17 If You Have a Lemon, Make a Lemonade 第17章 培养积极的心态 150
18 How to Cure Melancholy in Fourteen Days 第18章 多替他人着想 159
Part Five How to Keep from Worrying about Criticism
第五篇 免受批评的忧虑
19 Remember That No One Ever Kicks a Dead Dog 第19章 没有人会踢
一只死狗 176
20 Do Thisand Criticism Can''t Hurt You 第20章 不要让批评伤害你 180
21 Fool Things I Have Done 第21章 我做过的傻事 185
Part Six Six Ways to Prevent Fatigue and Worry and
Keep Your Energy and Spirits High
第六篇 常葆充沛活力的六种方法
22 How to Add One Hour a Day to Your Waking Life 第22章 每日多清醒
一小时 192
23 What Makes You Tiredand What You Can Do About It 第23章 是什么
使你疲劳 197
24 How The Housewife Can Avoid Fatigueand Keep Looking Young
第24章 青春永驻的秘诀 202
25 Four Good Working Habits That Will Help Prevent Fatigue and Worry
第25章 养成良好的工作习惯 208
26 How to Banish the Boredom That Produces Fatigue, Worry,and Resentment
第26章 如何消除烦闷 213
27 How to Keep from Worrying about Insomnia 第27章 不要为失眠而
忧虑 222
Part Seven How to Find the Kind of Work in Which
You May Be Happy and Successful
第七篇 如何把握你的工作和金钱
28 The Major Decision of Your Life 第28章 人生的重要决定 230
Part Eight How to Lessen Your Financial Worries
第八篇 如何减少金钱的烦恼
29 Seventy Per Cent of All Our Worries... 第29章 百分之七十的烦恼 240
Part Nine How I Conquered Worry32 True Stories
第九篇 克服忧虑的真实故事 251
內容試閱:
In the spring of 1871, a young man picked up a book and read twenty-one words that had a profound effect on his future. A medical student at the Montreal General Hospital, he was worried about passing the final examination, worried about what to do, where to go, how to build up a practice, how to make a living.
The twenty-one words that this young medical student read in 1871 helped him to become the most famous physician of his generation. He organised the world-famous Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. He became Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxfordthe highest honour that can be bestowed upon any medical man in the British Empire. He was knighted by the King of England. When he died, two huge volumes containing 1, 466 pages were required to tell the story of his life.
His name was Sir William Osler. Here are the twenty-one words that he read in the spring of 1871twenty-one words from Thomas Carlyle that helped him lead a life free from worry:Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what lies clearly at hand.
Forty-two years later, on a soft spring night when the tulips were blooming on the campus, this man, Sir William Osler, addressed the students of Yale University. He told those Yale students that a man like himself who had been a professor in four universities and had written a popular book was supposed to have brains of a special quality. He declared that that was untrue. He said that his intimate friends knew that his brains were of the most mediocre character.
What, then, was the secret of his success? He stated that it was owing to what he called living in day-tight compartments. What did he mean by that? A few months before he spoke at Yale, Sir William Osler had crossed the Atlantic on a great ocean liner where the captain standing on the bridge, could press a button andpresto! there was a clanging of machinery and various parts of the ship were immediately shut off from one anothershut off into watertight compartments. Now each one of you, Dr. Osler said to those Yale students, is a much more marvellous organization than the great liner, and bound on a longer voyage. What I urge is that you so learn to control the machinery as to live with day-tight compartments as the most certain way to ensure safety on the voyage. Get on the bridge, and see that at least the great bulkheads are in working order. Touch a button and hear, at every level of your life, the iron doors shutting out the Pastthe dead yesterdays. Touch another and shut off, with a metal curtain, the Futurethe unborn tomorrows. Then you are safesafe for today!...Shut off the past! Let the dead past bury its dead...Shut out the yesterdays which have lighted fools the way to dusty death...The load of tomorrow, added to that of yesterday, carried today, makes the strongest falter. Shut off the future as tightly as the past...The future is today...There is no tomorrow. The day of man''s salvation is now. Waste of energy, mental distress, nervous worries dog the steps of a man who is anxious about the future...Shut close, then the great fore and aft bulkheads, and prepare to cultivate the habit of life of day-tight compartments.
Did Dr. Osler mean to say that we should not make any effort to prepare for tomorrow? No. Not at all. But he did go on in that address to say that the best possible way to prepare for tomorrow is to concentrate with all your intelligence, all your enthusiasm, on doing today''s work superbly today. That is the only possible way you can prepare for the future.
By all means take thought for the tomorrow, yes, careful thought and planning and preparation. But have no anxiety.
During the Second World War, our military leaders planned for the morrow, but they could not afford to have any anxiety. I have supplied the best men with the best equipment we have, said Admiral Ernest J. King, who directed the United States Navy, and have given them what seems to be the wisest mission. That is all I can do.
If a ship has been sunk, Admiral King went on, I can''t bring it up. If it is going to be sunk, I can''t stop it. I can use my time much better working on tomorrow''s problem than by fretting about yesterday''s. Besides, if I let those things get me, I wouldn''t last long.
Whether in war or peace, the chief difference between good thinking and bad thinking is this: good thinking deals with causes and effects and leads to logical, constructive planning; bad thinking frequently leads to tension and nervous breakdowns.
I had the privilege of interviewing Arthur Hays Sulzberger, publisher1935~1961 of one of the most famous newspapers in the world, The New York Times. Mr. Sulzberger told me that when the Second World War flamed across Europe, he was so stunned, so worried about the future, that he found it almost impossible to sleep. He would frequently get out of bed in the middle of the night, take some canvas and tubes of paint, look in the mirror, and try to paint a portrait of himself. He didn''t know anything about painting, but he painted anyway, to get his mind off his worries. Mr. Sulzberger told me that he was never able to banish his worries and find peace until he had adopted as his motto five words from a church hymn: One step enough for me.
Lead, kindly Light...
Keep thou my feet:
I do not ask to see The distant scene; one step enough for me.